Skip to main content

Week 8


This week I did a Vinyasa flow class. It’s probably the most popular class at my gym back home. It’s most similar to Ashtanga because it is very sequenced, and focused on breathing. We started out with sun salutations they called their Vinyasa. It was a sequence of planks, chaturanga, and upward facing dog.  The instructor kind of set the pace, but then let us preform it on our own. After the salutations we moved into more complex sequences that the instructor took us through. She kept reiterating breathing and being efficient. The whole class seemed like a commercialized ashtanga, but I think I liked it just as much as our in class practices. It was challenging but laid back at the same time. The tempo was easy to keep up with, and the poses had beginner poses if you couldn’t do the real one.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 6

I tried another wake up class this week. I went in with no coffee or caffeine of any sort in order to see if it would truly wake me up. We started with some breathing and meditation to “wake up our mind”. We were supposed to visualize our day. What we were going to do, what we have to get done, stuff like that. We then moved into our sun salutations, which was a great way to work out all the stiffness and achiness from our nights sleep. I for one always wake up with a stiff back cause I sleep on my stomach and this was an excellent way to quickly loosen that up. After the sun salutations we moved on to other poses that apparently help your body get ready for the day. This class really does energize you and prepare you for the day, but I don’t think I can do without my coffee. If I incorporate both I might have the best wake up routine ever! I’m not really sure why type of yoga this was or what it was based after because it doesn’t seem to have a particular style like ...

The Yoga Experience: week 1

Week 1/14:             Today was my first experience doing yoga. I’ve had no experience with this exercise type but I’ve always been interested in it. I love weight lifting, but it unfortunately puts a lot of wear and tear on my body. With that being said I felt like yoga would help me increase my mobility and recovery. What I was not expecting was just how hard my class would be and just how stiff and non-flexible I truly am.              The class I took was called “flow” and it’s a Vinyasa class they offer at my work lifetime fitness. I figured this would be a good class to start with since its one of the most popular styles here in the U.S.. The class seemed very smooth and was much more difficult than expected. It was hard for me to get into many poses and hold them for the length they wanted. Overall I enjoyed it and am excited to try and get better at it.

week 7

This week I tried a class at lifetime fitness called Surrender and it kicked my butt. I took it because I was told it would really get deep into my hips, and lower back to open them up from years of not stretching. The class left me about as sore as Bikram did. My hips and back are sore but I do feel like this class would help them if I kept going. I think the pain is from working on all the tension built up within those muscle groups. The class itself consisted of more repetition of the same poses that some other classes and we held the stretch much longer and deeper than I usually do. I feel like the two classes I’ve done at lifetime are much more commercialized. They do still use Sanskrit but only on occasion. Usually it’s Americanized (i.e. calling movements downward dog and stuff). I don’t really mind them not using Sanskrit but a true yogi might.