Skip to main content

week 3

This week we did Bikram yoga in class. This practice was a very physical and left me more exhausted than previous classes have. This style was all about the body and not so much spirituality. All the directions made by the instructor had to do with positioning and the feeling of the stretch. For example while in the T stretch he told us to push our arms out forward and then kick our leg beck and imagine someone’s pulling it with a rope. That’s how intense he wanted the stretch to feel. There were really no instructions for breathing in this class, no closing the eyes and relaxing, he wanted all your focus on your physical movements. It was great. Being someone who enjoys bodybuilding I really enjoyed the focus this form of yoga puts on the mind muscle connection. It helps you control and feel your body better than any other class I've taken. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 6

I tried another wake up class this week. I went in with no coffee or caffeine of any sort in order to see if it would truly wake me up. We started with some breathing and meditation to “wake up our mind”. We were supposed to visualize our day. What we were going to do, what we have to get done, stuff like that. We then moved into our sun salutations, which was a great way to work out all the stiffness and achiness from our nights sleep. I for one always wake up with a stiff back cause I sleep on my stomach and this was an excellent way to quickly loosen that up. After the sun salutations we moved on to other poses that apparently help your body get ready for the day. This class really does energize you and prepare you for the day, but I don’t think I can do without my coffee. If I incorporate both I might have the best wake up routine ever! I’m not really sure why type of yoga this was or what it was based after because it doesn’t seem to have a particular style like ...

Week 12

This week I attempted another shot at meditation. It didn’t go well. I wasn’t crazy over the one we did in class, but I’ve heard nothing but good things about doing meditation so I gave it another try. I took a class called Be at lifetime fitness, which is a meditation class. I hated it. I only got about 15 minutes into it before I snuck out and left. It has us trying to focus on our breathing, than visualizing objects, feeling out body parts in space, blah blah blah… I don’t really have the attention span for this and I felt like I was wasting my time. Maybe I should try it for a shorter period of time and then work up to an hour-long class or maybe meditation isn’t really my thing. 

The Yoga Experience: week 1

Week 1/14:             Today was my first experience doing yoga. I’ve had no experience with this exercise type but I’ve always been interested in it. I love weight lifting, but it unfortunately puts a lot of wear and tear on my body. With that being said I felt like yoga would help me increase my mobility and recovery. What I was not expecting was just how hard my class would be and just how stiff and non-flexible I truly am.              The class I took was called “flow” and it’s a Vinyasa class they offer at my work lifetime fitness. I figured this would be a good class to start with since its one of the most popular styles here in the U.S.. The class seemed very smooth and was much more difficult than expected. It was hard for me to get into many poses and hold them for the length they wanted. Overall I enjoyed it and am excited to try and get better at it.