Skip to main content

Final Blog

Final Blog 

This semester was my first time doing yoga. I tried to do as many types of yoga as possible to see what I like and dislike. I wanted to get into yoga because I thought it would help me stretch and loosen up my body to become a better weight lifter. I also love trying new ways to exercise because its one of my best coping mechanisms when I am stressed. As I progressed with the semester I unfortunately became less and less enthused about the idea of doing yoga. I didn’t like people wanting to talk to me before and after my classes. I wanted to just go in get my workout done, and relax from all the stresses of the day like I do with weightlifting. I tried to really give it a shot but I think I already had my yoga; it was weight lifting.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 12

This week I attempted another shot at meditation. It didn’t go well. I wasn’t crazy over the one we did in class, but I’ve heard nothing but good things about doing meditation so I gave it another try. I took a class called Be at lifetime fitness, which is a meditation class. I hated it. I only got about 15 minutes into it before I snuck out and left. It has us trying to focus on our breathing, than visualizing objects, feeling out body parts in space, blah blah blah… I don’t really have the attention span for this and I felt like I was wasting my time. Maybe I should try it for a shorter period of time and then work up to an hour-long class or maybe meditation isn’t really my thing. 

Week 6

I tried another wake up class this week. I went in with no coffee or caffeine of any sort in order to see if it would truly wake me up. We started with some breathing and meditation to “wake up our mind”. We were supposed to visualize our day. What we were going to do, what we have to get done, stuff like that. We then moved into our sun salutations, which was a great way to work out all the stiffness and achiness from our nights sleep. I for one always wake up with a stiff back cause I sleep on my stomach and this was an excellent way to quickly loosen that up. After the sun salutations we moved on to other poses that apparently help your body get ready for the day. This class really does energize you and prepare you for the day, but I don’t think I can do without my coffee. If I incorporate both I might have the best wake up routine ever! I’m not really sure why type of yoga this was or what it was based after because it doesn’t seem to have a particular style like ...

Week 8

This week I did a Vinyasa flow class. It’s probably the most popular class at my gym back home. It’s most similar to Ashtanga because it is very sequenced, and focused on breathing. We started out with sun salutations they called their Vinyasa. It was a sequence of planks, chaturanga, and upward facing dog.   The instructor kind of set the pace, but then let us preform it on our own. After the salutations we moved into more complex sequences that the instructor took us through. She kept reiterating breathing and being efficient. The whole class seemed like a commercialized ashtanga, but I think I liked it just as much as our in class practices. It was challenging but laid back at the same time. The tempo was easy to keep up with, and the poses had beginner poses if you couldn’t do the real one.