Skip to main content

week 7


This week I tried a class at lifetime fitness called Surrender and it kicked my butt. I took it because I was told it would really get deep into my hips, and lower back to open them up from years of not stretching. The class left me about as sore as Bikram did. My hips and back are sore but I do feel like this class would help them if I kept going. I think the pain is from working on all the tension built up within those muscle groups. The class itself consisted of more repetition of the same poses that some other classes and we held the stretch much longer and deeper than I usually do. I feel like the two classes I’ve done at lifetime are much more commercialized. They do still use Sanskrit but only on occasion. Usually it’s Americanized (i.e. calling movements downward dog and stuff). I don’t really mind them not using Sanskrit but a true yogi might.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 4

This week I tried a class at my gym Lifetime fitness called “Root”. It’s a beginner class that’s super laid back and helps new yogis really learn the typical movements they’ll be doing. This class was way easier than the Bikram I did last week. I wasn’t sore after but I did feel much more knowledgeable about the positions I knew already as well as a few new ones.             This class showed me how to do cat cow poses, high lunges, and gate poses properly. I learned to like them so much because they open my hips and back which are constantly tight. I’ve since been doing these poses to start my day and to warm up my body before weight training. There wasn’t too much coaching on breathing or meditating because this class was more about getting reps in and practicing the poses. This was good for me since I’m new to this and it will help me get better and feel more prepared for other classes.

The Yoga Experience: week 1

Week 1/14:             Today was my first experience doing yoga. I’ve had no experience with this exercise type but I’ve always been interested in it. I love weight lifting, but it unfortunately puts a lot of wear and tear on my body. With that being said I felt like yoga would help me increase my mobility and recovery. What I was not expecting was just how hard my class would be and just how stiff and non-flexible I truly am.              The class I took was called “flow” and it’s a Vinyasa class they offer at my work lifetime fitness. I figured this would be a good class to start with since its one of the most popular styles here in the U.S.. The class seemed very smooth and was much more difficult than expected. It was hard for me to get into many poses and hold them for the length they wanted. Overall I enjoyed it and am excited to try and get better at it.